Off to Corsica ... a French island with a touch of Italy

With the benefit of low cost Easyjet flights from Lyon (not far from where we are based), we’ve booked a short 4 day break to Corsica! Heading off on Monday for some autumnal sun.

It’s been on my list for a long time and Ian did his Duke of Edinburgh award there back in … well a very long time ago :laughing:, so we are both looking forward to seeing what this island has to offer now, given it’s quite close to “home”.

Has anyone visited? Any recommendations?

We are flying into the north to Bastia so we won’t get south on this excursion, but we’ve got a car so hoping to see the Réserve Naturelle de Scandola and explore the northern tip.

This seems like a nice month to visit, still warm in the evenings but cool enough (for me) to do some daytime hiking.

So I won’t be around in the forum next week but I’ll certainly pop our best moments back on this thread after our visit!

Photos courtesy of Encyclopedia Britannica & Vogue

5 Likes

Sounds wonderful :grinning: Enjoy your much deserved vacation away @Vanessa_A

1 Like

@Vanessa_A Enjoy, it should be lovely weather! We were there about 13 years ago, on a 1-day stopover in Vecchio as part of a cruise. Unfortunately, I can’t remember much, but the snippets I can recall are very good :blush:

5 Likes

Spent a few days in Corsica, mainly roadtripping from the ports of Bastia to Bonifacio, where I took the ferry to Sardinia.
All I can say is that the landscape is stunningly beautiful, it takes forever to get from point A to point B on those twisting roads, and I wish I’d had much more time there. It’s glorious. Enjoy!

2 Likes

@Vanessa_A The images alone have transported me to another world … I will dive into them and let my imagination take me along.

Have a wonderful time …rest, relax and enjoy, you both deserve it. :heart:

3 Likes

Have a great time!

2 Likes

Looks a wonderful place to visit and relax. Enjoy your break, Vanessa and Ian.

2 Likes

Have a fantastic time! I’ve heard great things specifically about Piana and the Calanques and of course the food!

2 Likes

Thanks @Edith I only started researching a couple of days ago and just can’t believe the possibilities… we are already thinking a longer trip next year with the mini-camper. You can easily get to Italy by ferry too … I feel a road-trip coming on :slight_smile: I think it’s going to be a lovely surprise in what it offers!!

2 Likes

We missed out Corsica when sailing around the Med because of the cost. The anchorages and marinas were very expensive then. We went to Sardinia instead. A fantastic island full of history and the people are so friendly.

1 Like

@ElsieDownie That’s my concern - I have heard it’s an expensive island … we are going to check out the campsites while over there. I’m hoping we don’t live on bread and cheese for the week … although for 4 days I could make that work :joy:

Bread and cheese is all I’ve eaten for 40 years (ask my cardiologist). I don’t remember thinking that it was particularly expensive, but I’m from New York.

@Vanessa_A How was your trip??

2 Likes

Hi @botvot thank you for asking and it was wonderful! I will pop some photos up this week but it’s somewhere I would highly recommend. We will head back there again next year. Loved the Italian influence for the food and just so much to see and do. We only explored the top most tip “Cap Corse”.

3 Likes

Hey, Vanessa. Let me know if your travels take you through Nice. I’ll be there Feb-Apr.

1 Like