Pet Parents

I have just noticed that homeowners are now classed as Pet Parents on their profile.
It is great that pets are getting a mention.
Perhaps not so good for hosts who have no pets or like a couple of sits I have just looked at that have recently tragically lost their pets.
I would hope that web designers have more pressing matters to deal with.

4 Likes

I am one of these new ā€œpet parentsā€ on my listing and have no pets which is clearly indicated in my listing. Plus the fact I havenā€™t completed the area about the pets.

@Angela_L can you please delete this title of ā€œpet parentā€ off my listing? Even though pet sitting is the majority of sits on this site, it is called Trusted HOUSE Sitters not Trusted PET Sitters.

2 Likes

Hi @Crookie, thank you I will feed this back to the product team ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not keen on the terms ā€˜pet parentā€™ ā€˜fur babyā€™ etc and think many others share my opinion so I am surprised that THS have started using this term to officially describe home hosts.

14 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more with you @Colin. Obviously another important change made by THSšŸ˜‚.

6 Likes

I will not be joining in this new description of ā€œPet Parentā€
I have said before, I never apply for a sitting where there is a description of ā€œfur babiesā€

6 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m in a tiny minority, but ā€˜pet parentā€™ and other associated words are nauseating to me.

My husband knows my deep hatred of ā€œfur babyā€, so decided to gross me out last week by flipping the term and describing me as the catā€™s ā€œskin mumā€.

So horrible. I canā€™t stop thinking about it! :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Hi @Pips - I am with you there, see my previous post.
All homeowners are now officially classed as pet parents on their profile - regardless of whether they have pets or not.
What was wrong with homeowners or hosts?
Currently we are known as sitters (as far as I know) but who knows what the future will bring.

4 Likes

@Pips Iā€™m with you, complete cringe. Although I think we are in the minority as I got a bit of a reprimand for saying the same on here last year!

2 Likes

@Twitcher Critter Sitter

2 Likes

@Lindsay Iā€™m a HO and a sitter and donā€™t have any pets. I asked for ā€œpet parentā€ to be removed from my owner profile but itā€™s still there and Iā€™m not happy :pensive:

Totally agree @Pips and @Lindsay! The term ā€˜pet parentā€™ seems patronising to say the least. What was wrong with home owner? THS seem keen to make fix what isnā€™t broken, rather that actually acknowledging the concerns of its members.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but fear weā€™re in the minority. I wonā€™t rule out a sit on the basis of the homeowner saying ā€œfur babies,ā€ but it definitely makes me wary. Same with ā€œpet parents.ā€ I will treat peopleā€™s pets with empathy and carefulness, give them lots of my time and be hugely interested in them, but they are still animals and someone owns them. And thereā€™s nothing wrong with that! Animals are important in the world. We donā€™t have to pretend that theyā€™re people. I want some linguistic anthropologist to study when and why those terms arose, and what they say about our society.

6 Likes

That would be interesting! I imagine such terms arose in the advent of social media, and sicky sweet Instagram quotes, ā€˜Live laugh love!ā€™ I think the use of certain terms, such as ā€˜fur babiesā€™, really gives an indication as to their attitude and outlook. Iā€™ve never yet come across a HO who uses such terms (at least not seriously). It strikes me as being both juvenile and weirdly possessive.

5 Likes

Many HOs donā€™t actually own the home. That was a topic of discussion so I think thatā€™s how Pet Parent came about.

Yes that has been discussed previously so personally I feel that ā€˜hostā€™ works.

8 Likes

Ah, I see. I donā€™t personally think it really matters whether the home is owned or not. I regularly sit for someone who rents her house, but I still consider her the home owner in terms of the sit.

3 Likes

ā€œPet Parentsā€ doesnā€™t sit well with me either. How twee! (using British term I just learned) What was the problem with Home Owners? Actually, I agree with @Twitcher and think Host is the best choice. I donā€™t like fur babies either. It all sounds so juvenile. And I agree with @anon80172330 that THS seems keen to fix what isnā€™t broken.

7 Likes

@Twitcher @mars Agreed, host is the best choice by far. Itā€™s accurate and easily understood. I canā€™t even say pet parent without my eyes involuntarily rolling. I understand some people like it and I donā€™t want to be negative towards their preferences but thereā€™s no denying how juvenile it sounds and IMO it comes across quite unprofessional for TH to adopt that kind of language sitewide.

And @anon80172330 donā€™t get me started on live laugh love :rofl:

8 Likes

I quite agree with you @Lindsay and @mars as to the terminology being so juvenile and unprofessional. Iā€™ve often thought the Trusted Times (or whatever itā€™s called) is written in the same vein as though weā€™re kids. Iā€™m just waiting to read the next edition which hopefully includes the 5 Application Pause to see how ā€œcuteā€ it is.

5 Likes