Pet Parents

Hi @Crookie If you have been left feeling disappointed by the narrative in your reply from the Membership Services Team that was never the intention. As a member with no pets I will pass on your concern about having “Pet Parent” on your listing to the Marketing Team.

1 Like

As this topic is also about how we communicate I would like to take the opportunity to share some insights about communication on the forum across different topics and how the way we communicate can influence change.

Here is just one example of what an impact communication can have. This may come as a surprise to some but there are new owner members in our community who have felt the need to make major home changes, ie buy new bedding and yes even a new mattress, purchase new accessories, replace cooking utensils, stock the store cupboard, and completely rearrange their homes prior to a sitter arriving, why?

Because of some sitter’s comments and discussions on the forum…

We live in a world where those in public facing roles and communicating with the public require a level of awareness, discretion and diplomacy beyond anything the average person might comprehend. No response to any question is ever going to satisfy everyone, what is the right answer for one is the polar opposite for another.

Times are changing the narrative is changing, is that a good or bad thing? It is up to you to decide but we can make (good) changes in the way we communicate and in turn affect change for others.

We (the Admin Team) try our very best to help create a space where everyone feels they have a voice and can contribute and with your help we will continue to do just that.

Thank you.

While I agree with your sentiments 100%, and by no means or desire wish to speak for THS, I cannot imagine your specific request would be fulfilled by any other company. Although technically doable it would be a logistical nightmare (and extra expense) to alter individual accounts - not once but each time an upgrade of some sort is conducted.

However, instead of replying to your request with a lot of corporate nonsense, THS should have explained why they cannot fulfill your request.

And btw, imho, the most appropriate term is “host”

@RadarInc Do you see any reason to assign a tag to the image of the member who has a listing on the website? I don’t. It serves no purpose. I’m purely addressing the ‘pet parent’ wording beneath the image/photo on the website listing.

• On the website, a premium membership tag replaces ‘pet parent’.
  • On the app, there is no such label. The member’s name doesn’t even display, only their image.
  • There is no ‘sitter’ label under a sitter’s name.

Surely the company could resolve this by removing the tag altogether. And yes, I have communicated my suggestion via the appropriate channels, outside of the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edited (October 15) I’ve since noticed on the app listing that the member’s image is repeated below the mapping, with ‘pet parent’ attached.

3 Likes

Hmmm, this is another discussion altogether. In the post above I am only referring to altering individual accounts

EDIT, p.s. (not quite sure what you mean by “tag” as this term is now used right and left) BUT on second thought … YES, every image should be tagged with an alternative text in order to make documents readable for screen readers used by visually impaired users

1 Like

@RadarInc I was not using the word tag in reference to ALT TEXT for screen readers. I was using it in a way it would be defined in a dictionary: “a label attached to someone or something for the purpose of identification or to give other information”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course, it is also important to say that this is not always wrong.

If your cooking utensils, bedding and yes even mattresses are old, worn out and filthy then it is completely appropriate to replace them before inviting a house sitter to stay.

I find it very hard to believe that a home host that has clean bedding and a clean mattress feels the need to buy new because of a comment on a Facebook group

This issue is not common, it is very rare, but when it does occur, the problem is the home hosts that have homes that are not in a fit state to invite housesitters to stay, but do not seem to realise that.

We are all adults and should know the difference between what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. - it is important that it is addressed when sadly, some don’t

5 Likes

I am not a parent to an animal! I did not give birth to the animal. My cats or dogs are not my children. We love them, protect them and take care of them. But that does not make them human!

Please remove this unwanted label from my homeowner listing.

9 Likes

I don’t think that is going to happen @KenandMary1998. According to THS “.… the decision has been made by our management and marketing team to change the term of the homeowner to pet-parent, so this pulls through to all aspects of the website automatically. Unfortunately, we cannot make changes on an individual basis, as our systems cannot accommodate this

Hi @Colin thank you and you are right of course there are occasions, rare as you say, when there is a need however the example I gave didn’t happen as a result of comments on a FB group they came about because of comments read on the forum and yes it actually happened, caring new owners who felt they had to go above and beyond to “get it right” for their sitters, but I digress this is going off topic (Pet Parents) but it is about how we communicate.