Portugal!

Perfect! Now that’s living. :blush:

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

If anyone is in Porto next week and wants to meet up for a coffee or lunch, let me know.

In case you are wondering,

Really

6 Likes

That’s great. How much longer are you there? Then it’s off to England?

1 Like

I’ll mssg you

Portuguese cat, sitting

2 Likes

Spring has arrived and the days sites and sounds are delicious.

5 Likes

It looks fabulous. And slow travel is the best way to soak it all in. Happy for you.

3 Likes

Abrigada to all of you for sharing your wonderful Portuguese experiences! I will be in Lisbon for a very brief two days (non-THS days) in June, and have been culling your advice for exploring as well as fun stories/weather experiences like the sand from the Sahara. and local food and music places. Keep them coming, please and again, thank you/abriadga!

3 Likes

Make sure you take in some fado in Alfama, the oldest section.

1 Like

Today is my last day in Coimbra. I have been here a bit over a month walking slowly through the many narrow cobblestone roads and alleyways of the old city that dates back to the Roman era.
I have explored and inhaled this beautiful city that is vibrant and full of life. Busy with tourists from all over the world and locals who work and shop at the many markets found in most unexpected nooks, some in what look like stone cellars and other larger more modern places yet still the experience and feel comes from the people.
The song of birds wakes you in the morning and being near the university, there were nights and yes in the wee hours of the morning, where I was awakened by the songs and shouts of those returning from a game or the joy of too much drink. Never have I felt unsafe here. Quite the contrary.
The place I stayed in was a flat with one bedroom, kitchen and lounge fully equipped in every detail. My upstairs neighbors where Spaniards who recently have moved here and were transitioning to their new apartment. They were here two months and were extremely kind and pleasant.
Often I walked down to the Mondego river and into the Choupal National Park or simply sat at the water fountain in front of Ingreja de Santa Cruz (church) a national monument that is part of what used to be a huge monastery and where two of Portugal’s kings are buried. Founded 1131.
There I watched people and yes lots of dogs! Absolutely no strays sited!
I smiled, laughed out loud and even cried in gratitude for the many gifts life offers.
I chatted with strangers in a combination of English/Spanish, massacred Portuguese on my part, gestures and facial expressions. Yesterday by the river a woman, Indian dressed in a beautiful sari of gold and fuchsia invited me to sit with her on a bench. I had been sitting on the stone wall rubbing my legs. We sat together for about 30 minutes and she told me so much about her very young life, how she came to live in Portugal and her dreams.
She is beautiful inside and out. Never told me her name or asked mine. We were just two people seizing the moment. It was a very good moment one of many I have had here.

9 Likes

Traveling in Portugal is very easy in some parts and in others definitely a car is essential. Taxis and Uber are available within many major cities. Trains and bus service is also available to many areas within the country.
I used taxi in Lisbon as a personal choice.
FlixBus is fantastic to travel out to other cities. Very clean, comfortable and on time with a great app. There are other bus lines that serve different destinations I did not use but can be found easily on a web search.

5 Likes

We have plans to use FlixBus for a few of our travel days. Slow travel is our thing!!!

1 Like

What absolutely wonderful experience — I should says thousands of experiences. I’m so happy for you that you had this sojourn. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s in store for you next. Bon voyage!

1 Like

Nothing but great things! Thank you @Edith.
Headed to Lisbon tomorrow just for one evening and then London here I come where I have quite a few cats and friends waiting for me.

I will be writing and posting more about my experiences. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this wonderful adventure with your words and photos. I will be back to Portugal in July for a few days.

Anyone who is thinking about going to Portugal, I encourage you to do so whether for holiday or to relocate. For me, it has been well worth it.

4 Likes

Safe and happy travels @Amparo can’t wait for more amazing pictures and read more travelogues … good to see you back :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Peer pressure is brutal :rofl:
but it’s nice to have good friends.

I initially thought I’d head to England late May/early June and look for additional sits but the car rental prices scared me off. I do wish we could meet one day…

1 Like

Portugal! I have just been chosen for a 5 weeks’ sit next December/January on a rural farm with lots of animals in mid-east Portugal. I am soooo exited! Does anyone know a good (ideally free) online course where I can brush up my Portuguese, or does anyone have language teaching books for sale?

Has anyone ever travelled further down south from Portugal? I sadly can’t find any house-sitting offers from Gibraltar, Morocco, Mauretania and other North-West African countries on our website (yet) and would really like to continue my travels into that direction end of January. I am travelling with a small motorhome and a cat. Any advice will be appreciated!

1 Like