Portugal!

Parabens!
The country is beautiful.
I would not fret too much about learning Portuguese. The animals don’t mind.
You can study some in Duolingo and on YouTube. Most people here speak very fast and use a lot of coloquelism and abbreviate. Pick up some children’s books if you can, yes online ebooks work and again YouTube kid programs in Portuguese. Google translate is amazing. you can practice by translating your own sentences and use the voice feature to capture the sound.
You will be great!

I forgot to mention the Majestic Cafe in Porto. This Belle Époque-era cafe with ornate interior featuring carved wood, mirrors and chandeliers. Situated on the pedestrian street of Santa Catarina, it is considered one of the 10 most beautiful Cafés in the world.
You must try the coffee and Pasteis de Belem here… they are just sooo good!! :slightly_smiling_face: … just uploading these photos makes me want to go back there again soon!! :heart::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

This just in!
My belly :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Asked the very dashing waiter for recommendations and he did not disappoint.
Codfish and sautéed veggies with fresh cilantro :scream:
Cerveja preta Muito Bem!
Star café Lisbon

8 Likes

Never did get there…

I know you are waiting for a response from an American who has recently travelled to Portugal, but I did find this which strongly suggests you bring proof of a negative test.

1 Like

Can you get a PCR test before you leave the US (assuming it’s within 72 hours before you arrive in Portugal).

That being said, there are a lot of companies that allow you to do the test via video and they upload the results for you to access digitally. You buy the test before you leave and take it with you and you log in from anywhere in the world to do the test. Results fairly quickly.

1 Like

When I arrived into Portugal in March this year, 2022, I was required to submit both Proof of vaccinations and a negative PCR test. I flew from the USA into France then Portugal. I have not had to show proof since. I am in the UK now, traveling to Spain soon. I will have to do online form for Entry into Spain and as of right now, will have to provide POV and negative PCR to enter Portugal again from Spain in July. It is also required to complete a locator form. I have been checking regularly for any updates on the official government website.

2 Likes

5? 6? years ago on Valentine´s Day, I arrived in Portugal with a brilliant plan to relocate to Cascais, a small coastal town some 30 minutes away from Lisbon.

I loved the place, the vibe, the activities, the very active expat communities operating in town and its surroundings, the food, and much more. I liked the whole area (incl Lisbon) and could easily live there. Or so I thought.

In the middle of May, I left. Sadly Portugal was not for me. I was back in July, only 24 h stopover on my way to JFK to get another feel. The second I exited the plane I knew I had made the right decision back in May. Portugal was not for me in July either.

So, what made me leave? The freezing cold Atlantic wind blowing from the freezing cold Atlantic, the one that goes right through you. Full-year year around. (Surfers wear warm suits even in the middle of summer)

For me, the only way to “survive” the cold would be to live in a super modern house or apartment outside of the city. The ones with properly sealed windows and heated floors. As a city girl, I cannot even imagine living outside of the city.

There are tons of lovely places in Cascais. But they are all very old. The wind blows right through them. In addition, to keep the mold at bay, people keep ALL windows and doors open during the day all year round, incl hotels, which turns out into a cat and mouse game. As soon as the staff opens windows the guests keep closing them.

p.s. that freezing cold wind was a deal breaker for me … your mileage can vary :wink:

3 Likes

we just returned from Portugal. Went there the 28th of April and had to have a negative covid test. Got it at our local Walgreens. Had to have a negative antigen to get back in the states. Found a testing place in Porto. Tested negative and got back home on Sunday,

1 Like

Just saw this for anyone who might be travelling in Portugal in June.

Canadians in Portugal:

• a strike may affect rail services from June 3 to 30.
  • Expect delays and cancellations
  • Contact the rail company to determine whether the situation will disrupt your travel"
1 Like

We are hoping to pet sit winter 2023 in Spain and Portugal.we will be driving from place to place.has anyone done this? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions please? Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I took the Flixbus. Have fun. :hearts:

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to spend a fair bit of time on the Algarve as kid not far from Faro. I’d love to explore more of Portugal. It’s on my list of countries I’d like to sit.

1 Like

blablacar … carpooling - cheaper than bus

We rented a car in Portugal and drove all over, then into southern Spain. The highways were awesome in both countries. Easy driving, lots of regular services. It can be pretty dicey driving into some of the towns though so you need to know where you’re going and be confident, or else park on the outside and walk in/take transit.

1 Like

Ask your owners if they could kindly put you on their car insurance - many do!

Hi all,

Hubby and I will be in Portugal from 2-25 November, starting right at the top and working our way down. We have to depart from Faro airport on 25 Nov, visiting family elsewhere for a bit, before returning to Faro again.

We planned on housesitting, but our plans have been foiled - there are so few sits in November. Luckily we found a 4 week sit in Faro for the whole of December, so we’ll have time to explore that region then.

But for our 3 weeks in November: I want to ask some input from those that know Portugal. We want to stay roughly a week in 3 different areas/places, to at least experience some different regions, although we’ll be we working during the week. We enjoy dining out and just exploring local areas after work or over weekends. It will be private accommodation like Airbnbs or similar.

This is where I need your input:

Which areas??? Suddenly a small country seems very large when you only have 3 places to pick from. Also, any suggestions or references for accommodation would be greatly appreciated, you might know of a great little place. Needs good wifi, 2 beds and parking!

Thanks!

I am in Portugal , some sits, some solo travel. Strayed in FX Hostel in Lisbon. Great area and walkable to several places, was lovely.I will be in Tavira November 6.

2 Likes

We are house sitting in various areas around Portugal till mid-December and have done so last year as well.
1 week in Porto comes to mind and 1 week in Lisbon. Great culture and food. Easy to do daytrips from there too.
And then maybe a week on the Silver Coast. We’ve done a house sit there for a few weeks and the beaches are gorgeous (even if it is pretty windy up there), so maybe a week in Nazaré?

Enjoy Portugal!

3 Likes

Porto and the Douro Valley are wonderful. You can hit Aveiro and Coimbra on the way south to Lisbon (see how the waves will be in Nazaré). Lisbon and the surrounding area, including Sintra and Cascais, will keep you enthralled. Évora is a good base for the interior, but that Atlantic coastline heading south is stunning also. Be sure to catch some Fado, whatever you do.

4 Likes