Question about Discourse Blog Software

I haven’t gone through the whole tutorial yet and perhaps this is covered, but does anyone know why some of the message numbers appear in orange or brown, while others appear in black after a topic?

Hi. I must admit I haven’t gone through the tutorial and had not noticed the different colouring. Ironically, I’ve only noticed neon blue ones that are before the line where I last visited. I’ve just now noticed two brown ones and when I clicked on those they are posts that are older than my last visit (by many days). The mystery continues for me now, but I’ll be more observant (or wait until some brighter person answers your question). :thinking:

Hi @mars … I believe it’s to do with the popularity of the post… if the number is orange, this indicates a topic that has an “extremely high like to post” ratio, and brown is “very high”, so simply put it means the topic is getting more activity :slight_smile: Hope that helps. Would be interested to know what you think of the Discourse tuturial so far - how have you found it in terms of helpfulness and ease of use?

2 Likes

How do we find the tutorial?

You would have received an automatic message from the TrustedHousesitters bot. Have a look in your messages… It should be there I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi both @mars @Colin … I will take a look into this more tomorrow morning (my morning :slight_smile: ) and get back to you then. There are different “commands” at different stages so I just need to go through it to find them.

1 Like

Hi @Vanessa - I found it, thanks!

1 Like

That’s good Colin… could you do me a big favour and let me know your thoughts on it when you do it. It’s a standard part of the Discourse forum software so we are looking at how effective it is for new people joining. You can DM me if you prefer, or post your feedback here. Thanks so much and have a sunny day!!

To be honest it was not very user friendly for anyone that did not know the functions it was trying to explain. The instructions were not that clear . I stumbled my way through it and only got to the end because I previously ( sort of ) knew how to do what it was trying to explain.

2 Likes

You are not alone… he’s a very techie bot and I stumbled on several points too :slight_smile: We are going to try an alternative option this week and compare. I’ll DM you once it’s working and perhaps you could see what you think? Would appreciate your thoughts.

2 Likes

I didn’t enjoy it in the least.
It would also be useful to know how far through it you are