Review Request ignored

Cheers @Therese-Moderator

On more than occasion over the years I have rung support to see how to ‘review followup’ or see if our request actually been sent.

If the suggestion has merit but gets knocked back due to other important developments, will try again another time?

Have a super Xmas. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Wishing you a super Christmas too. :christmas_tree:

1 Like

‘no reviews’ seems to be more common now. I have not been able to get a response from 3-4 homeowners after a month or longer. I thought it was part of the agreement. Its more common now than it was a year ago If reviews/feedback are not provided then how can THS be trusted?

3 Likes

@Lokstar: I’m sorry that you thought I treated your comment unfairly. I’ll quote the entire comment below:

I was just trying to provide constructive criticism. It sounds like a 5-star review is really, really important to you. If it were that important to me, I would clarify that up front, before confirming a sit. If I couldn’t get that clarity beforehand, then I would pass on that sit.

Similarly, if I were an HO, and a 5-star review were that important to a sitter, then I would want them to make that clear to me beforehand. I would want them to over-communicate.

Neither reviews nor feedback are required by THS. Since they’re not required, assuming that an HO or sitter will do so isn’t really fair.

Like you pointed out, some sitters note in their profiles that they expect a review afterward. I think that’s great. They’re being honest and transparent.

I’m still a relatively inexperienced sitter (3 sits), so my preferences may shift. For now, I decided that I’ll always leave feedback because I think it’s important. I write my feedback, then I send a draft to the HO as a courtesy and give them the chance to respond/edit. Then I post the feedback. If I haven’t gotten a review, I’ll send reminders at appropriately increasing intervals.

For myself, a good deed is its own reward. To be fair, my love language is “Acts of Service,” not “Words of Affirmation.” If it were WoA, then I would note that accordingly in my profile.

3 Likes

A sitter emphasizing the importance of a 5-star review ahead of the sit seems like begging, it’s awkward, and it shifts the dynamic in a negative direction IMO.
And as a HO, I’d cringe if someone brought this up ahead of time. It might raise red flags. After all, we don’t know how it will go, do we?

3 Likes

I just text them and let them know how much I would appreciate their amazing review, and I thank them again. It works!

2 Likes

Update: I texted the homeowners and wished them happy holidays, and mentioned that I had left them a review, and asked if they could leave one for me.
No response.
Disappointing for sure!

1 Like

Yep, we’re in the same situation now. Very disappointing. Hopefully they’re just busy and will get to it when they get to it.

For my first year of petsitting, I did 30 sits in 2022: 28 at THS and 2 at another platform. All but two of the hosts at THS wrote reviews of me. I think that one host will not write a review as it was in the first half of October. I wrote a review for them but they have not reponded to several reminders I sent them asking that they write a review for me. The other host says they will write a review later in January when they return from their holidays, and I decided that I will write my review for them after I see their review of me.

Perhaps 1 or 2 out of 30 hosts not writing a review is indicative of a percentage rate of reviews? Possibly not all hosts have the time or inclination to write reviews. In any case, it was my first year of catsitting and I am very content with the amount of 5-star reviews I racked up so far. It certainly helped with applications once I had numerous glowing reviews :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :blush:

3 Likes

I notice that sitters are now getting a pop-up message to leave feedback for their most recent sit whenever they log onto the website. @Therese says that pet owners are getting a similar pop-up to leave a review. The problem is that most owners are not logging onto the website unless they’re going to post a sit and having recently returned from one, many are not planning to go away again.

This is only an issue when an owner is not leaving a review for a sitter. I finished a sit more than one week ago, requested a review though the website, then a couple of days later sent a text, but the owner says she’ll get around to it when she has time. She’s a first timer and does not seem to think it’s very important.

I would really like to see a clear message sent by THS to an owner following a sit saying something like, Sitters depend on reviews. If your sitter did a good job, please post a timely review as it’s the only thank-you they get for a job well done …or something to that effect. Then, if no review has been posted, say, three days later, another reminder stating it’s been three days since your sitter finished, please leave them a review.

6 Likes

Yes, I noticed that pop-up. Not impressed

1 Like

I think some of the hosts are waiting to get a review themselves before reviewing. It happened to me. That makes the reviewing quite fake, because it is difficult to make a completely honest review. Let’s say you as a sitter make less than a 5 star review, then you will probably not get an amazing review back.
How to tackle this situation?

If you use the spy glass at the top right of the page and search for reviews or feedback you will find this topic has been discussed at great length. Apparently the whole subject is being worked on and has been for some time. A survey was also carried out recently.

@Bcn Yes, you’re right.
If things didn’t go well people often keep silent to avoid damaging their profiles.
I wish I had a solution :confused:

I also just recently finished my first housesit and was excited to then finally have a review that would make finding other places easier… but unfortunately they never left me a review… I was so disappointed! and I do think everything went really well and I also left them a really nice 5 star review…

1 Like

@katyo - How long is it since your sit ended? The home host has 2 weeks to leave a review. Did you leave yours?

Yes I left one the day after I left… And by now their time has passed to leave one for me (and yes I reminded them)

@katyo , that is just unfortunate then and there is not much else you can do.

Most home hosts will leave you a review without you having to ask. For us, if we don’t receive one after 7 days we send a reminder politely asking if they could leave us one emphasising that they are important to us as they help us to get future bookings, also emphasising the time limit.

Only once we didn’t get one, and like you, have no idea why. The sit went well, I sent a reminder but only received radio silence as a response. This was extra disappointing as it was one of our all-time favourite sits that we would have loved to have done again. However, not that we were asked, but even if we had been, we would never do a repeat sit for a host that can’t be arsed to give us three minutes of their time to leave a review - It is not a lot to ask!

5 Likes

Some people don’t leave reviews as a rule, it might have nothing to do with how the sit went. If the HO had sitters before you can click through to the sitters’ profile(s) and see whether they have left any reviews previously, if they have you could always ask them for feedback on how you went. It doesn’t give you that first review on the website but at least it might give you some answers.

We never sit for hosts that don’t leave a review - It’s lazy. Even short reviews or missing stars we just pass them on. Reviews are basically currency for sitters.

@katyo really unfortunate for you - next time in your video call ahead of any sit, stress the importance to the HOs about reviews and what they mean to you. Also we don’t leave reviews until HOs have done ours :+1:

1 Like