What’s Your Favourite Country?

Just seeing this and wanted to add if you were to go the Irish route, it’s not that difficult. You can apply for a de facto stamp 4 which would to give your partner a 3 year stamp which he can work with and after that he can apply for citizenship. Much easier than the UK. I’m Canadian and married to an Irishman living in Ireland so feel free to ask questions!

@travellingnomad wish i was married to an Irish woman! You are a lucky man…Irish women (well those I have met and I have some great friends from that) are adventurous, have a great sense of humour and fun, will tell you when they think you are wrong, enjoy the craic and add to any gathering, dont mind getting their hands dirty, are practical minded and will show you how you can make your own soda bread! Ireland we love you!

well I’m a woman but thanks. Although neither of us like soda bread so can’t show anyone how to make it.

2 Likes

@travellingnomad hmm thats a BIG error on my part…always read things properly! I have’nt been out with any IrishMEN, but I am sure that what I just sent applies to them also! Canada we love you …especially the scallops wrapped in bacon and drizzled with maple syrup from a street food caravan on the West coast of Vancouver Island!

@travellingnomad my sincere apologies…still red faced!

haha no worries! While I love Ireland, I’d take Vancouver island over the Emerald one these days.

1 Like

@travellingnomad yes its a beautiful island and ALOT larger that I imagined! I got across to the West coast and would have loved to do that Pacific Rim walk but not equipped for it…I had two weeks and car hire camping and backpackers…never even got to the top end of the island…Canada is HUGE! I loved every minute of that trip.

1 Like

I confess

5 Likes

Switzerland. I have been visiting many times since my first visit in 1972. Trusted Pet Sitters has made it possible in the last few years to explore what is now a very expensive destination. We have done three pet sits in this gorgeous Country and unfortunately had to cancel one last year due to the pandemic. It was ten miles from my favorite destination on the Planet. This was the view from our last pet sit in CH.

2 Likes

Just love reading all the posts about countries all over the world. I’m not sure I can decide which is my favorite at time point. I love the idea of spending this time of our lives discovering as many as possible. However, slow traveling is our new preferred mode, as there is no longer a rush to return home for work. The idea of meeting new folks and caring for their lovely pets, while enjoying the local cuisine and always stopping to smell the roses, appeals to us on so many levels.

3 Likes

@carpediem16 I’m an Irish woman and I approve this message!

I’m a (very) late bloomer on the traveling front, but got bitten by the bug 3 years ago when my sons surprised me with a plane ticket to Europe with them. I loved the architecture, culture, different languages, history, and the good bread! All those things in short supply here in the US. I don’t feel qualified to choose a favorite country just yet, although I certainly hope to explore more. For now, I’ve enjoyed doing it somewhat vicariously through different channels like this one!

5 Likes

It is never too late @MsKate to enjoy the goodness of this Earth.
I have been solo traveling 43 years, though I am partial to one in particular country(cough cough) I still feel like a newborn in the travel and exploration department.
In love and joy!

2 Likes

You forgot good cheese. I love the US but really………string cheese from a spray can??

1 Like

Jon - New Zealand is on my list to visit someday - never been but I’ve heard it’s amazing. I am curious where you are from? How many times have you been to NZ and were you able to do a housesit there?

MSKate - where in Europe did you visit on your trip? I’ve yet to make it to Europe, with the exception of Paris which I got to visit with my daughter after her study abroad. I loved the architecture, history and of course baguettes!

That photo is stunning. I would love to hear more about your time in Switzerland and some of the places you’ve visited there and what you would recommend for someone visiting the first time. We are hoping to visit the end of 2022 depending on the pandemic.

There is excellent cheese in the US. It’s not all Velveeta and spray cheese.

Yes, there is. If you know where to look. It was a tongue in cheek post. It’s a standing joke in our household.

As @Lassie says, there is really good cheese here, even in the most humble corner grocery stores. But spray cheese is a really cool (and funny) invention, isn’t it? Leave it to American ingenuity!

2 Likes