What to do with request from HO

Greetings community,

Question; my application with an HO was approved and we haven’t had a video call yet, only a very brief ph call where they requested I send a picture of my drivers license so they can check me out. I gently reminded them that sitters are fully vetted with background checks thru the app yet they are insisting upon this, stating all their sitters have done this in the past. They are new to TH so I’m guessing it’s thru another company that they’ve made this request. I’m uncomfortable with this and wonder what to say/how to proceed? Thank you!

Just say no!

6 Likes

Hi @bluet0917 You may be interested in this thread which discussed a similar request

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/deposit-expected-by-homeowner

Yes, say no and look for another sit where people are more trusting.
Pet sitters do everything without payment and if you don’t feel comfortable, then what’s the benefit of doing a sit that doesn’t seem right?
Lots more fish in the sea!

6 Likes

Do you mean they sent a request for you to confirm and you accepted, before you even had that phone call?

Many of us would suggest never accepting/confirming before having at LEAST a thorough phone call, on either end.

On one of our very first THS sits, the homeowners asked for a copy of our DL. My husband wasn’t keen on agreeing to that but I was. It was a very desirable/luxurious house sit so we complied with their request as we were their first sitters and we understood. We did numerous repeat sits for the couple and became the best of friends so it all worked out and we were glad we agreed to their request. I realize not everyone is comfortable with being asked that so you really have to go with your gut.

2 Likes

Thank you! This was helpful to read thru. My gut tells me this isn’t the right fit.

I’ve not accepted the sit. Only had a brief call with them.

You are in Florida, it seems

“Under Florida law, motor vehicle and driver license information are public information.” Record Production Fact Sheet - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

I do not understand the reluctance to provide a copy when just anybody could ask the state DMV to ask for the information. I suppose including your picture.

If you’re feeling is that something isn’t right, just decline the sit.
Does this come with the use of their car? I can understand there are sometimes reasons an HO needs the sitter’s license – their insurance, some gated communities will require a copy, amenities in complexes, etc. but just “to check you out” is a little nope.
If you really want the sit, then I’d offer to meet them for a face to face videochat to make sure that EVERYONE is 100% comfortable. There may be other information that will satisfy them that won’t feel quite as invasive .

The personal information on the license is EXEMPT from public records.

Public Records – Need to make a public records request? Florida’s public records laws are very broad, and most records are available to the public. However, the laws exempt specific personal information contained in a motor vehicle record from public disclosure requirements. A motor vehicle record includes driver licenses, titles, registrations and identification cards issued by FLHSMV. There is a copy cost of 15 cents per page, unless provided otherwise by statute, and the extensive use of clerical or supervisory time (in excess of 30 minutes) may result in added labor costs. All costs must be paid in advance of providing copies, unless other satisfactory arrangements are made.

Just wondering if they’re offering their car for you to use, hence the driving licence? However you haven’t accepted the sit yet so presumably not. As others say, refuse

I am reading that a bit differently. A driving licence is a public record in Florida but some specific personal information need not be made available.

So it depends what specific information that would be, by Florida law. In the link that I gave, I saw that there are exemptions for people with protected identity.

No mention of use of their car & I’ve not accepted the sit nor had a FaceTime chat. Only had a very brief ph call.

They’ve made no mention of use of their car. They do reside in a gated community but stated their reason for needing my DL is verbatim “to check me out.” They’ve not read my profile/bio/reviews which I mentioned would offer clarity regarding my reliability, trustworthiness, capabilities. I let them know I’m not comfortable with their request.

I’m not a FL state resident and traveling thru. I wasn’t aware of this and it was a bit surprising to be asked when the ethos of Trustedhousesitters is well, trust.

1 Like

And then you did not trust them with looking at your driving license…

Just to be cheeky, I would tell them that you are happy to comply as long as they also provide copies of their driver licenses to you as well! Both of them! You are also “checking them out.” lol. :rofl:

5 Likes

@PVGemini I don’t think that’s even cheeky. They shouldn’t expect a sitter to provide that info if they are prepared to provide it themselves.

3 Likes

I don’t know how seeing your driving licence can “check you out”. Not once have I been asked for any documentation to “check me out” for housesits except for when using a ho’s car, but I haven’t yet sat in the US which seems to be where these requests are made