Where Are Your Top 3 Destinations For A Road Trip?

who doesn’t love a road trip?!

There are so many amazing destinations to choose for a great road trip but I whittled my choices down as follows….

I will count down from 3 to number 1 with 1 being my ultimate favourite! :slightly_smiling_face:

1. The Amalfi Coast which is a stunningly beautiful stretch of coastline in Southern Italy overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea and the Gulf of Salerno.

I took this photo in Spiaggia Libera along the Amalfi Coast.

1. Norway, there are just so many stunning panoramic drives which take you along the coast and across mountains. If you are lucky you may even see the Northern Lights!

I took this photo in Hovet, Norway.

This photo shows me standing on the spectacular Stegastein viewing platform, 650 metres above Aurlandsfjord. An unmissable sightseeing trip for any visitor to Flam in Norway. The viewpoint was designed by Todd Saunders and Tommie Wilhelmsen and was completed in 2006.

1. My ultimate favourite road trip destination is California’s Pacific Coast Highway (PCH 1). The Pacific Coast Highway runs along two highways: US 101 in Washington, Oregon, and parts of California and California Highway 1 in the majority of California. From end to end the Pacific Coast Highway is 1,675 miles long from Olympia, WA to San Diego, CA.
    Every time we do this road trip, the views take my breath away every single time.

This photo was taken at Nicholas Canyon Beach.

A photo I took at Big Sur.

This was taken in Carmel, this is definitely one of my favourite spots! … Oh and I was lucky enough to meet Clint Eastwood whilst on one our trips in Carmel! :slightly_smiling_face:

I love this bridge! This is Bixby Creek Bridge also known as Bixby Canyon Bridge, on the Big Sur coast of California. :heart::us:

Where are your top 3 road trip destinations?

8 Likes

Love this!!! My top road trip ever was for my 30th birthday. I rented a camper van and drove the Ring Road around Iceland! The scenery was insane and we had almost 24 hours of daylight to soak it all in!

Second favorite road trip is Alaska, especially during September, the fall colors are mind blowing out there! And the wild life is amazing.

4 Likes

@Julie_A That sounds amazing… I love Iceland, it’s just unlike any other place I have ever visited! :iceland::heart::slightly_smiling_face:

@Samox24 what a great post! We are planning a couple of great road trips in the next few months, including the upper NE of the US, to include New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. We will travel this area for three weeks in September and should be fortunate enough to see the amazing autumn colors as they progress through those weeks.

This April, we leave for Ireland for two weeks and will fly into Dublin, rent a car, then travel south and west, making a complete circle of the area until we return to Dublin. Our travels will take us to Cork, Waterford, Kinsel, Killarney, Dingle and more (I can’t remember all the places we plan to visit) but just can’t wait. We have tried for three years to get to Ireland, but the Pandemic stopped us until this year.

My memories of one of my favorite road trips was when we lived in Colorado, US and made the journey up through Wyoming and Montana to visit Yellowstone and all the other beautiful areas there. We were lucky enough to see Moose, Black Bears and even a Grizzly Bear (from a distance).

1 Like

@Debbie-L So exciting! When you go and certainly when you are in New Hampshire and Vermont, be sure to download the Leaf Peeper App. We used this app when we went in the month of October and we could track exactly from the reports given and then find the best fall colours. I’m sure you will love it there and especially at that time of year. :maple_leaf::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much @Samox24. I am adding it now!

1 Like

@Debbie-L If for some reason you cannot find the app on there at the moment, it’s because it appears on there much nearer the time, (fall). We had this issue before but it might be on there sooner now.

Thanks @Samox24 I did try but couldn’t find it. I will try to download closer to the time of our adventure! Thanks for your help.

@Debbie-L You are very welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

@Samox24 You are giving me some amazing travel & food inspiration and your photos are always great! Would love to explore some of those places too. My Husband did Norway before we met and I would love to experience it too.

1 Like

My problem is my favourite place is the one I’m in or the one I’ve just left. I’m one of these people who looks for the best in a place and ignores the rest.
South of England is wonderful but cold and damp in February But the walking is fantastic and people make the place. Loving this life.

4 Likes

Thanks @Samox24! I grew up in California, so perhaps I’m too familiar with the PCH. I actually like the Oregon coast better. Sand dunes! Have you driven up the SW Oregon Coast?

2 Likes

@geoff.hom Yes, the trouble is the whole route is stunning! It is certainly beautiful there too though. :heart::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Samox24: Now I’m wondering: Is there any destination you haven’t been to? I kinda want to make a new topic about just that. :grin:

I haven’t been everywhere, but I’ve been to a few unique places…

2 Likes

@geoff.hom Sadly yes! There are still many places I haven’t been to and that are on my to do list… I’m working on it though! :earth_americas::joy:

3 Likes

haha @geoff.hom I was thinking the same thing! It sound like @Samox24 has been EVERYWHERE!

2 Likes

Hope you enjoy Ireland. You should try to include Northern Ireland too, eg Giant’s Causeway. Only 27 more days to the conclusion of my three-month solo road trip of Deep South USA. Such wonderful places, people and pets.

7 Likes

Headed to Ireland for two weeks at the end of April. Holding my breath as we tried three previous times but the Pandemic stopped the travel.

2 Likes

@Valhalla It certainly looks like you have had a wonderful road trip and thank you for sharing such lovely photos with us! :camera::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Our next road trip starts on 10th March. It’s been off then on then maybe then off again but now it’s definitely on.
We collect the car from Miami, Florida. Head for the Florida Keys then make our way slowly North.
Florida
New Orleans
Alamo (Texas)
New Mexico
Grand Canyon
Monument Valley
Zion National Park
Aspen, Colorada
Steamboat Springs
Thermopolis
Yellowstone
Billings (Little Big Horn)
Glacier National Park
Calgary (The Stampede)
Lake Louise
Jasper
DawsonCreek
Fort Nelson
Watson Lake
Whitehorse
Beaver Creek
Fairbanks
Cold foot
Prudhoe Bay (swim in the Artic Ocean)
Anchorage
Tok
Yukon
British Columbia
Vancouver Island
Washington
Oregon
California
Reno, Nevada (air races)
Fly home.

1 year of planning an 8 month road trip with sits on the way. Although we are always looking for more! This is our last huge trip. The travel insurance is getting far too expensive for our age group. It doesn’t matter how fit and healthy you are, all they see is a number and cost it with that in mind.
After this it’s three months at a time. We will still enjoy epic places but not spend so long in them.

If there is anywhere you can think of that we have missed out please tell us. We prefer countryside and mountains, lakes and sea to big cities.

4 Likes