How many of you do repeated sits and do the pets remember you?

The dogs remembered me when I did a repeat, but the sits were only a couple of weeks apart. It was especially sweet, because one of the dogs was skittish the first time since he was blind and deaf. The second time, he wanted to be close right away.

I probably won’t do many more repeats sits, though. I prefer variety in settings. That’s a key reason I sit and telecommute.

@IHeartAnimals we did a repeat sit of our first ever sit and the dogs were soooo excited! It was so wonderful, they remembered us like it was yesterday :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Awe, We have done lots of repeat sits, usually locally, as we quite like a change from Bus (Room to spread out, our own actual Rooms, usually ensuites too) usually Big old houses in the middle of no where, works fab for us, we love these sits, if I see and AGA in the Kitchen Photo’s I always apply, lol. I love me and AGA, never used one until HS, then picked up 2 during lockdown! anyways, repeat sits.
It’s really great for the Teens as they were 12 & 13yrs when we first started Sitting, they have watched Kittens grow up and Puppies too, the Pets do remember you, so if like I did on one of our early sits, made the Dog’s (Doggie biscuits) remember they WILL remember and if you even look like you are baking, best be their Doggie biscuits, I forgot and was reminded by 4 lovely Doggies, “Manda, where are our Doggie biscuits” lol. We like it, we have built up friendships with people who would have never made friends with, you bond with the Pets, make friends (send WhatsApps at Christmas and New Year) you see their Families grow and they have watched our Two Grow, nearly Adults now. The Pets remember the routines and are very relaxed and comfortable like “oh here’s my staycation family” lol.
It does have it’s downsides, when a Pet passes or has to be put to sleep or a HO too, however it’s life.
We started HS as the the Teens were Tweens and wanted a Dog! my Hubby and I were like “oh, no, it’s not like when you visit your friends houses and play and dress the dog up for Insta photos, there’s training, poop, gag, mud, washing, training, feeding, walking regardless of it if it chucking it down, snowing or super hot and you get up at 5am to take the Dogs while it’s still cool” needless to say our nearly Adults, have a very clear understanding of owning a Dog/Cat or any Animal. Cat’s don’t need Walking. So it’s been fab for that and on so many other unexpected levels that we could not have imagined.
Amanda and Family x

@Chrissy that is awesome. Basically you’re like family now to these pets and homeowners

@Maggie8K isn’t it the most rewarding thing ever when a skittish pet becomes your best buddy? We had one of those recently. The humungous dog would pee all over the place when we went to put a leash on him to go potty (no fenced yard) but after a few days, he was very comfortable with us and wanted hugs all day. But then again, he was peeing on us when we would go out and come back to the house because he was so excited to see us. We still loved him though and it was a good sit otherwise

@Manda wow that’s great they remember you and I’m sure it’s awful when they go to pet heaven. My twins are 14 and my oldest is 16 and we started sitting this year. And you’re right, having dogs is no joke. It’s alot of responsibility. Ours both died when they were each about 16 and years of waking up early to take them out, cleaning up after them when they are sick, and dealing with them getting sick and dying are all things that are required. If we ever get dogs in the future, I’m installing doggy doors. I’ve done a couple sits with them and it’s a game changer.

1 Like

I’ve done 60+ sits, have many return invites but timing has only allowed me to do one - with Flynn in Bromley, UK.
He definitely remembered me but the sits were only about 6 months apart. And I took him to London on the train for a TH meetup - twice. He’s met a bunch of sitters!

tom

16 Likes

@toml I loved meeting Flynn at the London meet-up. He is absolutely adorable and we could see just how much Flynn loved being with you :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Yes always feel bad turning down repeated sits.but just want to experience different places to stay.

1 Like

@toml wow he is super adorable!!! I would have repeat sat for him too

1 Like

I think, good for the poor little thing, because they’re otherwise deprived if they stay skittish. Like our dog is deprived of having fun with other dogs, because he’s highly reactive.

Yes! I do lots of repeat sits and I love being reunited! I’m doing a sit for a fourth time next month and I’m so excited.
Funniest one was, I couldn’t do a sit I do regularly so my parents did it as I’d told them how nice it was. My dad proudly announced over the phone that he was the doggies favourite, well, I turned up on the last day to say hello - and both dogs showed their true loyalties to me!

@ERRa that is awesome. Your dad thought he was the favorite but you showed him how it was done! I’ve been petting with my family of 5 all summer but going into the future, I am planning to start father daughter petsitting trips since the kids are finally old enough to be able to manage without me with just my husband.

I have an AGA. Maybe you need to visit Canada?? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was a bit of a role reversal from childhood! They accompanied me on a couple of sits before being brave enough to make their own profile - then they kept asking me if a sit looked okay, so I suggested the one mentioned above as they had actually met the dogs. Now, full of confidence they are off being strong independent housesitters without me!

5 Likes

I did a repeat in May, but HO had a new pet so I do not know
Animals often do remember by scent sometimes. I’m doing another repeat in October for same dog so I’ll find out if he does remember me.

1 Like

@ERRa childhood role reversal. That’s awesome. Just say to your parents “the student has become the master”

That’s exciting, let us know here how it goes

lol, I can only see the Golden on your profile, tbh, I am a hit and miss with this forum, some days I can get see profiles and posts, other days I swear I am loosing my mind, lol.
We are sucker for a Golden, my Daughter and I were talking about Golden’s yesterday, we have never seen a Golden that’s not happy, even really old ones, I swear they are happy until they go to Doggie Heaven. We were watching and old one on a playing field, while waiting for a friend yesterday, anyways, and AGA and a Golden and Canada (wohooooo if I can get onto your profile, I will look, can’t see why I would not favourite your profile) Canada is on our list. THS has been a wonderful way for us to make new friends and explore new places.
Amanda and Family

1 Like

I always wash all our Clothing before a sit, we wear Crocs inside every home so they get a wash the morning before we go to a new sit and if we have big Coats etc, I air them as to try not to overstimulate the Dogs/Cats, saying that, I am sure they will remember you, it’s really lovely arriving at a Sit and they hear the Car and come and say hello, some don’t bother getting up, however when you are inside will say hello and go back to snoozing, lol. enjoy