Need advice on attracting sitters!

Hi! I just signed up after a friend told me about this deal. It sounds very appealing, but now I’m wondering how hard it is to actually find someone who wants to stay at your house. I live in Goldsboro, NC. It’s not a very exciting location, but it’s an hour from everywhere! I have a good sized home and a lot of amenities. Can i get some suggestions on attracting sitters, please? I would so appreciate it as I have a trip to Paris already booked end of September.

10 Likes

Hi @Baynester

A very warm welcome to the forum.

For our members to give you good advice, I would suggest you add your listing to your forum profile.

the way to add your profile link is here >> https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/how-to-add-a-listing-or-profile-link-to-your-forum-profile

You have time to really perfect your listing, and I really do not see you having a problem securing some lovely sitters.

Your pets look adorable. Love her ear.

1 Like

Hi @Baynester & welcome. Here’s a handy guide on creating an appealing listing.

If you use the search function on here you’ll find lots of advice and topics from other threads too.

As full time sitters we look for good photos of the pets, the rooms we will use including bedroom and bathroom, info on transport and groceries etc, what we can do nearby and clear instructions on what you expect from your sitter for the pets. Once you have done that, you can add the link to your forum profile and lots of members will give you advice on what works and how to make it stand out so you can jet off to Paris happily :fr:

Best of luck :raised_hands:t3:

Hello @Baynester and a very warm welcome to TrustedHousesitters and to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

As @Therese mentioned, it would be great if you could add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback and will also give your listing extra exposure!

If you are unsure how to do this, or if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask, we are all more than happy to help.

Your trip to Paris in September sounds exciting, please don’t worry that you have not yet found a sitter/s, this is still a long way off yet and you have plenty of time. I am sure many members on here will help by looking at your profile and make suggestions accordingly once they can view your listing. :blush:

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

@baynester My suggestion would be to take as many pictures of your home as you do your pets. If you have a cute picture of your pet(s), make that your first picture displayed in your listing. I have seen many listings where the first picture is of a bathroom or living room. You are selling your location as much as your home and pets so avoid negative remarks in your description. Be thorough in the amenities available. If you know of a local restaurant, craft brewery, museum, etc. be sure to mention that. List it right and they will come.

1 Like

Thanks @RachelTG but I’m not the HO, I’m a sitter too :joy::joy: You need to tag @Baynester as they need the help :raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

I live rural too, though not as far out as you, and have had good luck finding sitters. It has gotten harder to find really experienced sitters, but since you are new to THS I recommend you post fairly soon and hold out for a sitter with several excellent THS reviews. It helps to have someone who ”gets” the program the first time.

The attraction to a rural sit will be, for example, someone who wants to escape the nearest big city, someone who works remotely and wants a change of scenery, or maybe a nomadic sitter who likes to explore new areas and isn’t looking for tourist hotspot. They are all out there. The key for us is strong, reliable WiFi, a comfortable home, and garden/outdoor area. I list nearby adventure and dining options etc but also make it clear someone can easily enjoy just chilling at home. We are now offering a car if needed, but most of our sitters have driven here rather than flying in from far-flung destinations. Don’t feel weird about selecting a local sitter if they apply.

Feel free to read my listing via my name above. I think you can see it even if I don’t have a live sit. Sitters seem to respond well to the description and have all enjoyed their time here.

2 Likes

What a great photo!! They look like an adorable duo!

2 Likes

I don’t live in a “sexy” place but I managed to attract 2 terrific sitters and one that I believe was trying to get her feet wet locally and eventually “travel the world” with THS. I declined her because she would not commit to a call with me - she acted like she was signing up for an AirBnB experience rather than taking on the responsibilities of taking care of our pets and home. That being said, I am also near an urban area and there’s plenty to do nearby. My sits are also short so I list them as a “Staycation”. Get out of town for a couple of days, do some shopping, dining and treat yourself. The two sitters have had friends in the area so it has worked out great for them as a home base! The key is to take great pictures and make your home as attractive as possible. I am also very very thorough with the Welcome Guide and I have had great luck labeling everything in the house for my sitters. Being a good communicator goes a long way and helps get good reviews so others are eager to sit for you on your next sit.

Good luck to you! I recommend this service every chance I get and plan to become a sitter in the future!

2 Likes