New from Texas

Hello,
I just joined THS. Currently, I live in Bryan, Texas also known as ew 'Aggieland". I recently retired and want to turn the page of life. I want to start living my dream of travel to new places, cultures, etc. I will start with exploring Texas, as no one else wants us due to COVID. I hope to get some housesits under my belt before venturing to another continent. My first baby step was joining THS.

8 Likes

Hi @evag008! Welcome to THS! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome from Dallas. I’m very new to THS also and have my first sit this week. It is also in Dallas, as getting local sits is easier and a way to build references. There are plenty if sits in TX, especially Austin, so hopefully you’ll get accepted soon.

1 Like

Yes, I have searched for Austin sits. I finally got my ID verification approved. Thank you. Let us know how it goes.

Eva

1 Like

Hi @evag008 a BIG warm welcome to our Community Forum and to TrustedHousesitters so glad to have you join us from Texas … thank you for taking a new adventure, baby step in our direction, the best direction.

Starting locally, when possible, is the very best way to get started and gain experience as well as build up the all important THS reviews, also to see if the lifestyle is right for you, before you travel to the other side of the world.

Have a good look around there are excellent conversations, lots of help and great articles. Do ask your questions you’ll find our community helpful, supportive and full of experience.

We will follow your baby steps and look forward to being part of your THS travel, dream adventure.

Angela and the Team

Thanks Angela. I have another question:
I have a video call with an HO. I got a request from another HO, that I prefer because its longer. Have not accepted yet. Should I accept it to see if I get it? The sits overlap so I can’t do both. Is it ethical to apply for both and then choose?

2 Likes

Hi. It’s quite common to apply for multiple sits, as you know there may be multiple applicants for most sits. Once you confirm a sit, if it overlaps with another you’ve applied for then you need to withdraw your application for the other one. As a courtesy it is nice to tell the other one why you are withdrawing your application. Enjoy your sit :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you.

Hi evag008
On my first sit with THS I went overseas, but I had been overseas before.
I’m not going abroad till this whole virus thing greatly minimizes because different places have different rules and I’m not sure what I’ll run into.
Yes I too have been doing sits closer to home.
I need to get more sit reviews to be more desirable.

1 Like

Welcome from San Antonio! We’ve been very blessed to find this site as owners and have made several new friends with our sitters! Our shared love of dogs and travel made us a perfect fit as friends! We travel internationally at least 5-6 times a year so THS was the perfect alternative to kennels for our babies! I hope you find some great sits here in Texas to start and may your travels take you wherever you want to go!
Stay safe and travel well!

1 Like

Welcome @evag008 - we are Brits who did their very first “official” sits in Austin and then spent our first 3 months of travel in the US in Texas. We just couldn’t leave… we loved it and it has so much to offer that went way beyond our expectations. We bought a big old RV in Dallas and explored all the state and national parks between there and El Paso. You will have a wonderful time exploring and house sitting I am sure. We certainly hope to make a return trip one day!

In terms of your question about applying for more than one sit at a time, Angela will pick that tag up but I am adding a link to an earlier topic where you’ll see lots of feedback on this from other members. Good luck and enjoy the forum!!

2 Likes

Hi @evag008 that’s a great question on membership management and thank you @Snowbird for helping with the question … also @Vanessa_A has included feedback from members on this very subject.

This is the place to ask any questions that you may have also you’ll find great informative help articles on the website blog.

My house sitter due to arrive on Friday just cancelled. I am in Weatherford, Texas. Any chance you would like to come for all or part of a housesit Oct. 1 to Oct 31st. My dates are really flexible.

Hi @dawnncatt welcome to our community forum and I’m sorry that your first visit is to relay some disappointing news about your sitter. I’m going to pass this over to the Membership Services Team who are trained to deal with these situations and can help you … @Therese

I hope you will explore the forum and the many conversations that are really helpful and informative.

Welcome again and thank you for joining from Texas.

Angela and the Team

Thanks Angela, I’m new to using the forum too. I thought I was replying to Eva. I’ll get better with practice.

1 Like

Thank you @Angela_L Angela. I understand things happen, just really would like to have a new sitter ASAP. I’ve been a member for several years and love using THS.

Dawnn

1 Like

I’ve done over sixty pet sits all over the US and Europe since joining THS. Doing regional pet sits is key to getting opportunities further afield. Although we are off to Europe again pet sitting next Spring we have done some amazing pet sits locally as of late right in the Oregon Coast and on the edge of our National Parks here in the PNW. Next month we will be just outside Glacier National Park in Montana. Let the adventures continue!

1 Like

Hi @dawnncatt @Angela_L I have emailed you directly from membership services. warm regards Therese

1 Like

I am with you on no international travel until things settle down with COVID. I am looking for close to home sits ut most of them are a 2 hour drive for me. I have to reevaluate my priorities b/c gas is expensive now even in Texas(oil country). Good luck!

2 Likes