Number of Applicants on listings

Hi everyone! I would like to share something with you that has happened to me a few times already.
I have applied for 2 sits that showed 0-3 applicants. This is always encouraging because if we see too many applicants for a sit, we have the feeling we may not get the chance to get it and usually disregard them (although reading your comments on other threads, we have started to consider the possibility of applying anyway).
Anyway, after applying and checking the number of applicants was still between 0 and 3, we imagined we were some of the first ones. However, in both cases, we got a message from the HO thanking our application and mentioning thay were just sitting down lo look over all the applications they had received, which was quite overwhelming and could take time but thay would get back to us.
That really called my attention, since the listing showed that not more than 3 people had applied. It concerns me because now I feel I canā€™t trust how many appplicants had actually applied to make my decision to do it too or not.
Has it ever happened to you? Could it be a mistake on the site?

1 Like

I suspect people say that because they just want to give themselves more time and donā€™t realize we can see how many applicants there are.

2 Likes

@Kelownagurl :joy: :joy: that sounds about right. It just called my attention that 2 people said the same but it might be just what they could come up with.

2 Likes

I applied and got a sit in Bavaria that had the 0-3 status. The home owner stated during the introductory phone call that with over 27 replies (I assume that he stopped counting) he narrowed it down to me as ā€˜I was the first cab off the rankā€™. I donā€™t think the listing ever updated to reflect that number.

2 Likes

I think Homeowners say that so if they decline our application it seems far less personal.

2 Likes

@julia Thanks for sharing your experience. Now I remember talking to a HO after having been chosen for the sit and she mentioned she had received many applications. However, I clearly remember I hadnā€™t seen more than 3. In this case, there was no need to lie or ā€œgain timeā€ since I had already been chosen which makes me think the updating issue could be the case here :thinking:

1 Like

@Colin Thanks Colin. It makes sense. Itā€™s not easy to decline applications, I guess.

1 Like

Hi @Vale @Kelownagurl @Colin @Julia ā€¦ I will take this up with the product team as we do use the counter as an informational indicator for members.

Thank you all for your feedback

2 Likes

Thanks @Angela_L

This has been raised recentlyā€¦

Link below

1 Like

I am a new sitter. Iā€™ve applied for my first sit in Sept 22. Their listing shows 8-11 applicants. Does that mean that 8-11 sitters have applied for that sit? (That would seem to make sense, just checking.) Next question is, what is the next step? Do I just wait to hear back from them? If they select another sitter, will I be notified of that? If they select me, then what happens? Thanks for the help!

Yes, itā€™s means 8-11 people have applied.

In theory, you should hear something from them within a few days but you will find thereā€™s a big variety in how home owners handle this.

Some might leave you hanging for awhile (feel free to apply for other sits as well and accept the first one you connect with, and then rescind your other applications for the same time frame.)

Some will decline you without a message (we donā€™t like this, but it happens).

Some will decline you with an explanation.

Some show interest and let you know theyā€™d like to talk further - you can ask questions, they ask questions, you might arrange a phone or video call etc.

If you and the home owner agree that youā€™re a good match, they will offer you the sit and you will accept it officially.

Do a search on this forum to find out the kind of things you should look for and ask about when finding your first sit. Thereā€™s lots of info here!

If I can find a few threads, Iā€™ll post them here for you.

3 Likes

This is a long thread, but there is some useful info here.

Thank you for that explanation. I appreciate it. I have looked through the topics here, and your are correct, there is a lot of info! Iā€™ll keep learning!

1 Like

I was greatly confused by the 0-3 applicants as well. This is a lot to navigate but it seems like such a wonderful service after reading all the testimonials.