Search Filters - Website Design - Wish List

Hi Cat/@Hooman!

Gosh, thank you for taking so much time and energy to show your suggestions! Mock ups!

I like all your suggestions, esp. map locations being more specific. And the mock-up looks sweet.

I want to give you fair warning as simply another member, because I’d hate for you to feel like your efforts weren’t being fruitful: Improvements on TH are unpredictable. Speaking simply from my own observations and reading on the forums, as a new sitter (late 2022).

I’m sure the TH staff are always working on improving and fixing things, but it’s not clear to us users what happens behind closed doors. Stuff like the size of the tech team, whether they spend a lot of time on bugs vs features vs app vs website, or how priorities/decisions are chosen. Of course, many companies are like that <cough>Google<cough>.

Personally, if I really want an improvement in TH, I might do an 80% effort suggesting it (e.g., a mock-up 80% perfect, definitely not 100%), then I’ll just make the best with what we’ve got. That in itself can be a fun challenge. =)

For example, I’m sure some people track their TH applications in a separate spreadsheet.

4 Likes

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your response. Yes the map location would also be my no 1 thing.

I didn’t really have any exceptions, I just thought you never know… someone might read it! :crossed_fingers:

All the best,

Cat

3 Likes
  • expectations

I was just about to add a topic about this when I was alerted to this post. Count me in as a vote for adding “date” to the “sort by” list. You could even have an ascending and descending option, but at very least, let’s have the ability to see the soonest-occurring listing first. It would save me a ton of time.

It would also be helpful to have more duration options. Options jump from 2 weeks to 1 month (no 3 weeks) and from 1 month to 6 months! How about 2 months? or 3? 6 months + is the longest option, but it would be helpful to have an option for a 1-year sit.

Also, can “no pets” be an option you can choose along with various animals? That is to say, “I’ll happily sit for cats, birds, or no pets.” The way it’s set up now, “no pets” only searches pet-free options.

Also, I’ve found that sometimes there will be a listing with a dog and a cat, but the homeowners are taking the dog with them. But when I filtered for “cat” only, the sit didn’t come up, because their listing has a dog in it. If I hadn’t also searched dogs, I would have missed out on sits that fall into this category. Is there a way to address this by having the owners check a box of some sort when they post a specific sit?

Also, is there a way to remind homeowners posting new sit dates to make sure their listing is up to date as far as what animals will be there for the sit? I have at times seen listings that show animals that apparently have died. It can be unclear sometimes how many animals one is expected to care for.

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes! I have thought this myself. And not just dog breeds, but dog SIZE. How about sm/med/lg /huge with weight ranges?

And how about being able to exclude listings we’ve seen but that we know aren’t a fit for whatever reason? Tick a box to exclude from current searching, so that I can actually narrow my options and not have to wade through ones I don’t want?

1 Like

I just wish the search filters worked on the app. I get more accurate results on the website. My 3 saved searches for places in Australia give me the same result on the app (ie it gives me all Australian sits instead of just for that location) but the website gives me the correct results for each location. Also both the website and app saved search results only list the available sits but if I go and search using the search filters, I can also see the full list under the available ones. These inconsistencies are very annoying.

1 Like

Use the HO’s actual address (which THS presumably has) to specify the location on the listing. No more self-selecting location to mislead sitters into clicking on your listing only to read through and find out that you’re not where you claimed to be. Sitters are required to undergo rigorous background checks, so HOs should at least have to be honest about their location, if nothing else.

1 Like

I suppose you could search for just January, and then just February, and then just March, etc. until THS figures out how to put the Sits in chronological order.

I would like the ability to click on a box “No dogs” or “No cats” and the search will automatically include all of the other animal types.

1 Like

I’d like to be able to search for keywords in a sit. I might remember that I saw an interesting sit with a Steinway or llama, and want to find it later.

4 Likes

Nice idea!

I had a homeowner tell me once that they couldn’t put their actual town. They had to select a larger town nearby. I’m not familiar with the homeowner interface, but it might not always be a case of the homeowner trying to mislead. It could be they are unable to be specific and clear about where they live because they are offered limited location choices.

1. Let us sort sits by actual start date
  2. Let us save a search that is filtered like on “New”. I have done so but it doesn’t save the filter.
  3. Let us refine the radius of the search. If I am searching for sits in Costa Mesa, CA I personally am definitely not interested in sits available up in Los Angeles. If there’s no sits in the general area of Costa Mesa that’s fine.
  4. Let us save a search filtered by “Location”. I have done so but it doesn’t save the filter.
  5. REMOVE the “You’re busy with another sit” block.

Wholeheartedly, agree! Particularly, a 3 week filter option to the current, 1, 2 and 1 month choices.

Any good programmer should accomplish that in about 5 minutes AND it would save sitters who look for longer sits.

2 Likes