New members in NW Washington State

Greetings All!

We are Martha and John, a retired couple living in the beautiful Skagit Valley, roughly midway between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC. We love dogs and cats but currently do not have any pets.

We live on five acres of rural land about four miles north of the town of Sedro-Woolley. Our home was custom built for us in 2005 and features a strong connection between inside and outside spaces, including garden views from practically every room, double doors opening onto a deck and patio, etc. We have put much effort and love into landscaping around the house, as well as into restoring natural habitat on our property, including planting hundreds of native trees and shrubs and creating a wildlife pond.

We are active in social and environmental issues in our community, such as wildlife protection and careful land use planning. We are birders and love to hike in mountains, forests, and deserts and along rugged coastlines.

We also love to travel, both around the US and Canada and internationally, but have not left the country since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. We are currently planning a month-long trip to Ireland during which we hope to do a couple of self-guided walking tours in Kerry, attend a live performance of a folk musical about the Great Famine that was written by John’s daughter-in-law, and spend a week in a cottage on the Connemara Peninsula.

Given these plans, our primary interest at this time is finding someone who would like to stay at our home and mind the place while we’re away. In the long run, we may also be interested in house sitting ourselves at some point.

We look forward to connecting with other folks in the Trusted Housesitters community regarding your experiences both as sitters and homeowners.

Best regards,
Martha and John

Post moderated to comply with forum guidelines.

4 Likes

Welcome to THS and what a wonderful opportunity for someone to housesit for you one day. It sounds fabulous!

3 Likes

Hi Martha & John,

Thank you for introducing yourself! I haven’t chatted on this forum before, although I’ve been a member for almost 6 months… it has been truly amazing to meet so many amazing people and their animals!

I’m based in Seattle, and have hiked Sauk mountain multiple times, along with exploring deeper into the Cascades. The sits that draw me most have a strong connection with their natural surroundings, and not too much technology. A peaceful space for me to write and vision.

I will be watching for your listing, it sounds like a really good one! Please let me know if you have any questions getting started.

Take care ~

Indigo

6 Likes

Hello @JuanDay and a warm welcome to the Community Forum :wave:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Your home sounds absolutely lovely and idyllic and I am sure you will get many applicants once you post your sit!

For reference if you are a member, once your listing is completed you can also add your TrustedHousesitters profile on to your Forum profile by following the attached link, should you wish. This will then enable others to offer you helpful advice and feedback and will also give your listing extra exposure!

If you are unsure how to do this, or if you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to ask, we are all more than happy to help.

I have attached a couple of threads you may find useful.

Also, remember you can use the spyglass symbol at the top of the page next to the TrustedHousesitters logo and search for any questions that you may have as they have most likely already been answered on here and of course if not then please just ask!

It sounds like you are going to have a great trip planned for Ireland… you will thoroughly enjoy it there, I know we certainly do! :ireland::blush:

1 Like

Hello @BonnieIndigo and a warm welcome to the Community Forum, and of course it’s great to hear that you have been a member now for 6 months and that you are thoroughly enjoying yourself! You have a great profile too btw. :slightly_smiling_face:

Whereabouts are you hoping to travel to on future house sits? :earth_americas::blush:

Hi @JuanDay I’d like to join in with another"Welcome to our Community Forum" message … your post drew me in with NW Washington State, it’s one of my favorite parts of the US, I’m from Vancouver, Canada and the beauty of the PNW never ceases to amaze, even in the grey and wet winter months.

Bainbridge Island is a very special place it’s where I have made a number of friends, some will be life long and many through TrustedHousesitters I have no doubt that there will be sitters who will enjoy being there just as I do.

Thank you for bringing your special part of the PNW to our community here on the Forum … have you always lived there or did you discover the area and decided it’s where you wanted to be?

Enjoy connecting with members from around the world.

A view from a Bainbridge Island window. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thanks, @Samox24 ! I’m currently on a sit in New Mexico, which is completely new territory for me… planned it as part of a road trip from Seattle, and it has been a truly amazing experience. I still have my eye on those elusive Hawaii sits, and maybe someday I will branch out internationally :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@BonnieIndigo Your road trip sounds fabulous!

If you have any photos from your road trip it would be great to see. :camera::cactus::slightly_smiling_face: