Flights, cancelations and sheer madness

We’re in the London area (Surbiton) right now and we have been using the train system heavily for almost a month. The rail strikes that have occurred in the past three weeks have been announced and publicized at the stations and on train announcements. It has been easy for us to plan around them since we know when and where they will occur. There’s a good website thetrainline.com that lists action dates and other information regarding rail traffic. It might be an inconvenience in the day we are scheduled to fly out, Aug. 18, but there are other good transportation options.

3 Likes

Hi @AnnieNai we have a member meetup in London tomorrow, Saturday 6th London Calling - Member Meetup! Saturday August 6th 12.30 pm would be great to see you there.

Angela & The Team

3 Likes

Hi Angela. Yes, Tom and I are planning on being there. We should be on Joann’s list. Not bringing the dog though, he’s 35 kilos of solid retriever. I’m looking forward to meeting you, too.

2 Likes

@AnnieNai I have you both on my list :+1:t2: & looking forward to seeing you both again tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry we can not make it this time !
brighton pride flag

4 Likes

@Colin hope you both have a fabulous time in Brighton and hopefully we will see you at the next one wherever that may be :+1:t2::blush:

3 Likes

Have a fabulous time!! Please post some pics later :slight_smile:

1 Like

A true well organised traveller. There’s always a way round obstacles.

3 Likes

You can always storm the head office!

@Amparo You’re right there was hangers full of luggage not loaded on planes. The issue at heathrow is they laid off a load of staff or good staff left during the pandemic. Heathrow security clearance takes 3 months so there’s been a lag between hiring and getting them working.
Many airlines have been asked to cancel or limit sales of flights to/from Heathrow over the next 2 months.
I had to wait 45 minutes to deplane last week arriving from Copenhagen at terminal 5 as there were no available ground staff.
Hopefully things will improve as staff are hired and security cleared.

1 Like

Yes indeed. It is beginning to look like the problem originated at Heathrow when I was given a boarding pass for my connecting flight that was not my flight! My case went on that flight but I didn’t then it appeared that I missed my original flight and was rebooked and rerouted which literally created a series of mayhem.
It’s all good and I have every confidence this is all working in my favor :smiley:
Upwards and onwards!

It just proves the old adage is correct.
Always travel with a change of underwear in your hand luggage.

1 Like

you know it’s funny, I had a complete change of clothing including shoes in my rucksack. There was a point I was going to shove it all in the case but that wonderful little voice…
I love life’s gentle guidance and the occasional good slap to remind me to pay attention :rofl:

1 Like

Quick update on the lost luggage saga…
Today is 90 days since I filed the official claim and 93 days since the day my suitcase decided to travel without me on my flights London Heathrow- NYC-Atlanta.
The amounts of corresponce and phone calls have been many, average about twice a month. Delta reimbursed me the price of purchasing a new suitcase just prior to my next international flight after several of these calls.
Yesterday I received an email requesting an itemized list of my belongings which was submitted the first week after loss. A very nice reply from me to “Please verify and review previously submitted docs…” was met with a very nice email this morning that my claim settlement, “value of reported items” has been processed and a check is being issued.
Losing one’s possessions can be a pretty big hit when you travel full time.
BUT nothing I lost was irreplaceable other than the emotional attachment I had with the items, the memories, the feels if you will.
Those feels were replaced with better feels. shopping for new things for a new place, especially using awards credit card for future flights :slight_smile:
Receiving a nice check to replace items and cover the cost of new ones, which were already paid for is a nice shot of happy juice that will now go towards bigger and better things on my new horizons.

Out of chaos comes order.
Life is wild, crazy and fun.
Cheers everyone!
Chin up, everything is going to be OK!

Now let’s see what travel insurance and credit card protection will infuse.

7 Likes

Great attitude!
Now you should schedule a sit near that place in Alabama where lost luggage all goes and see how much you can buy your stuff back for! https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

1 Like

are you volunteering? :joy:
There is a pretty nice set of butterfly wings and unicorn headband that would look lovely on you.
:kissing_heart:
But seriously @toml thats pretty cool.
You have so much knowledge!
:pray::raised_hands:

@ampara…I love all your positivity…it is something we don’t see so much of these days!

2 Likes

I love that! Thanks @Amparo for making my evening!

1 Like

This fascinating place was profiled on CBS Sunday Morning years ago. I’d love to go there!

I like to think of your belongings starting a new and exciting life somewhere, maybe like in a mountain village in Nepal. I wish them great success, wherever they are now!

4 Likes